Many homeowners are unaware of the health concerns affiliated with common household cleaners. If used too often and improperly, household cleaners can cause long-term side effects to the body. Professionals understand how to safely clean your home without emitting and spreading harmful chemicals. Below, we have provided some chemical-free tips for safe, carpet maintenance between professional cleanings.
- Old grease stains can easily be taken out with a little cornstarch and water.
- Sweeping the carpet raisers the fibers, allowing you vacuum to get underneath those areas. – Mix one part borax, two parts corn meal and sprinkle onto the carpet before vacuuming for an extra clean.
- Remove shoes before entering the home. This not only reduces dirt and mud, but also prevents oil, pesticides, grass, or asphalt from destroying the carpet.
- Treat stains immediately. The longer they have to set in, the more difficult they will be to remove.
- Vacuum 2 times per week. This will greatly reduce the effects of foot traffic. – Change the vacuum bag before it has a chance to fill and clog.
- Shut your blinds before you leave for the day. UV rays can actually damage the carpet fibers, making your carpet appear older.
- Use walk-off mats at all entrances from the outdoors. It is surprising how much dirt these mats capture and prevent it from being tracked throughout your home. And don’t forget to clean your mats often!